The Indian automobile industry is the tenth largest in the world with an annual production of approximately 2 million units. Indian auto industry, promises to become the major automotive industry in the upcoming years and the industry experts are hopeful that it will touch 10 million units mark.
Indian automobile industry is involved in design, development, manufacture, marketing, and sale of motor vehicles. There are a number of global automotive giants that are upbeat about the expansion plans and collaboration with domestic companies to produce automobiles in India.
The major car manufacturers in India are Maruti Udyog, Hyundai Motors India Ltd., General Motors India Pvt. Ltd., Honda Siel Cars India Ltd., Toyota Kirloskar Motor Ltd., Hindustan Motors etc.
The two-wheeler manufacturers in India are Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (Pvt.) Ltd., TVS, Hero Honda, Yamaha, Bajaj, etc. The heavy motors including buses, trucks, auto rickshaws and multi-utility vehicles are manufactured by Tata-Telco, Eicher Motors, Bajaj, Mahindra and Mahindra, etc.
- First Indian to own a car in India was Jamshedji Tata.
- First woman to drive a car in India was Mrs. Suzanne RD Tata.
- The passenger car and motorcycle segment in the Indian auto industry is growing by 8-9 percent.
- Commercial vehicle will grow by 5.2 per cent.
- The first automobile in India was rolled in 1897 in Bombay.
- India is a potential emerging auto market.
- Motorcycles contribute 80% of the two-wheeler industry.
- Unlike the USA, the Indian passenger vehicle market is dominated by cars (79%).
- India is the largest two-wheeler manufacturer in the world.
- India's motorcycle segment will grow by 8-9 percent in the coming years. 11. India is the fifth largest commercial vehicle manufacturer in the world. 12. India has the number one global motorcycle manufacturer. 13. In Asia, India is the fourth largest car market.
Used car Market
The new chapter in the automobile industry is that of used cars. The massive demand of used cars indicates that cars are becoming increasingly popular. Those who can't afford the luxury cars and their high prices are opting for used cars. In today's time, customers are conscious and diligently investing on car dealership. Car buyers are investing heavily a lot of time for both to sell a car and buy car. There's also a number of car websites that have offering detailed information on new car prices, used cars, car reviews, Chevrolet cars, jaguar cars and luxury cars.
At present major Indian, European, Korean, Japanese automobile companies are holding significant market shares. In commercial vehicle, Tata Motors dominates over 60% of the Indian commercial vehicle market. Tata Motors is the largest medium and heavy commercial vehicle manufacturer.
Among the two-wheeler segment, including scooters and mopeds- motorcycles have- major share in the market. Hero Honda contributes 50% motorcycles to the market in which Honda holds 46% share in scooter and TVS makes 82% of the mopeds in the country. In the three wheeler industry in India, Piaggio holds 40% of the market share. Bajaj is the leader by making 68% of the three-wheelers.
Car manufacturers in India dominate the passenger vehicle market by 79%. Maruti Suzuki is the largest car producer in India and has 52% share in passenger cars and is a complete monopoly in multi purpose vehicles. In utility vehicles Mahindra holds 42% share. Hyundai and Tata Motors is the second and third car producer in India.