The surging automobile industry among other things has eclipsed the growth of the automobile component sector in the country. India has slowly but surely emerged as global outsourcing hub for manufacturing of various automotive components. Companies like Toyota, Hyundai, Ford, Volvo, Renault and Daimler Chrysler to name a few are sourcing their automotive components from various automotive manufacturers of the country.
The auto components industry is predominantly divided into five segments:
- Engine parts
- Drive Transmission & Steering Parts
- Suspension & Brake Parts
- Electrical Parts
- Body and chassis
The Indian automobile components industry has come a long way. And according to the, Investment Commission of India, global automobile manufacturers see India as a manufacturing hub for auto components to:
- Low labour force and raw material which makes India cost competitive.
- India is an established manufacturing base.
- Major international auto-component including Delphi, Visteon, Bosch and Meritor have set up operations in India.
- Automobile manufacturers and auto components manufacturers have set up International Purchasing Offices (IPOs) in India.
- Fine-quality components are manufactured in India.
- India is a global hub for R&D: GM, Daimler Chrysler, Bosch, Suzuki, Johnson Controls etc.
The recent cars are experimenting with forms that are quite at a departure from the traditional ones. These have the chassis frame and the car body in a single structure. This has, in many ways, proven to provide more tensile strength to the vehicle.
Some of the famous automobile chassis manufacturers include ArvinMeritor, Bosch, Continental, Delphi, ThyssenKrupp Automotive, TRW Automotive and Visteon.
automobileIndia.com provides information on Chassis and other aspects of automobiles in India.